Here we are! It’s the day of the highly anticipated announcement of the 2021 Winning photographers, which for the URBAN Photo Awards contestants represents the last mile of an exciting journey to the final podium.
As always, Winners are published in alphabetical order. To find out who will be the first ranked for each category, the Honorable Mentions, the Best Author and the Winner Overall, we give you an appointment at the URBAN’s Award Ceremony on Saturday 30 October 2021, at the Auditorium of the prestigious Museo Revoltella in Trieste, Italy, as part of the Trieste Photo Days festival.
Thank you to all the photographers that joined the contest!
The president of the jury Bruce Gilden will be in live streaming to unveil the Winner Overall of the Single Pictures section and comment on the projects he has personally selected for Real People, the tribute book created in his honor in the context of URBAN 2021. Paolo Pellegrin and Francesco Cito will be present at the Ceremony to announce and reward, respectively, the winning Portfolio and the winner of the URBAN Book Award.
The winner of New Buildings Special Prize, born from the collaboration between URBAN Photo Awards and Matrix4Design, the winner of Trieste Science+Fiction festival Special Prize, and the winner of the Exhibition-Prize at the Poreč Museum (Croatia) will also be awarded.
Among the URBAN 2021 prizes there is also the prestigious exhibition at the Museo Sartorio in Trieste, up for grabs for the third year in a row by the Civic Museums of History and Art of the Municipality of Trieste. The 4 projects that will be exhibited in the museum we be announce shortly.
Trieste Photo Days will host dozens of exhibitions with the best photos of the competition: in addition to URBAN winners exhibit at the Sala Xenia, we will in fact host a large collective exhibition spread in a selected circuit of clubs in the city center (Trieste Photo Fringe) and out of town (Photo Days Tour). More news very soon!
A wide selection of the best photos ranked in URBAN 2021 will make up the seventh volume of Urban unveils the City and its secrets, currently in production, which will be previewed at Trieste Photo Days before the awards ceremony.
Registrations for URBAN 2021 closed on June 18 with record numbers: over 11,000 photos in the competition, 417 projects (including 110 for the Bruce Gilden Special Prize) and 125 books, for over 3,000 participants from all over the world.
Here are the winners of URBAN Photo Awards (divided by category and in alphabetical order)
Single Pictures (in alphabetical order)
- A B M Nayeem Siddiquee – Untitled
- Amir Arabshahi – His own world
- Andrés Granollers – Untitled
- Angiolo Manetti – Roman lights
- Berin Aydın – Friendship
- Forrest Walker – Istanbul, Turkey
- Giancarlo Staubmann – Self portrait
- Giulio Casti – Detachment
- Giulio Cesare Grandi – Untitled
- Helmut Oberritter – Gare de Liege-Guillemins
- Istvan Kerekes – Untitled
- John Twiname – Powerless
- José Luis Nieto – Subida al Cielo
- Joseph Ford – Dre and Tom, 2019
- Laura Zalenga – Pop
- Ludmila Stepnova – Urban winter recreation
- Marcel Van Balken – Runner
- Marcelo Cugliari – Untitled
- Marzena Hans – Untitled
- Maude Bardet – Untitled
- Md Enamul Kabir – The Last Train
- Paul Kessel – Untitled
- Pietro Di Giambattista – Untitled
- Rene Bernal – Young guns
- Samuel Boivin – The Trocadero bathers
- Szymon Lewinski – Untitled
- Takrim Ahmed – Jumping time
- Timo Lemmetti – Repel
- Yuliy Vasilev – Central Park
Projects & Portfolios (in alphabetical order)
- Gali Tibbon – Journey to Jerusalem of Africa
- Joseph Ford – Invisible Jumpers
- Luca Meola – Crackland
- Selina Bressan – I carbonari di Serra San Bruno
- Sittichai Maikupandin – Ordinary Place
URBAN Book Award (in alphabetical order)
- Candy Lopesino – The Iberians
- Gabriele Lopez – Subway Zen
- Nicolas St-Pierre – Where Have The Birds Gone?
Bruce Gilden special prize (final ranking)
- Winner Carlo Traini – Promenade
- Winner Fabrizio Spucches – Working Class Virus
- Winner Forrest Walker – Populous
- Winner Giedo Van Der Zwan – Pier To Pier
- Winner Maria Pansini – Saints, Thieves And Sailors
- Winner Maurizio Leonardi – Napoletani Di Partenope (Neapolitans Of Parthenope)
- Winner Paula Kajzar – See Me, Feel Me… Heal Emotional Transfer
- Winner Simon Johansson – The World Shadow
- Winner Stanley Robben – Craving
- Winner Ximena Hinzpeter – My Own People
- Honorable Mention Alessio Toce – Back Down North
- Honorable Mention Andrea Scirè – Everyday Heros
- Honorable Mention Gabriele Micalizzi – Malamilano
- Honorable Mention Giancarlo Zuccarone – Italian Easter Rituals
- Honorable Mention Jean-Pierre Baud – Urban Frontsides
- Honorable Mention Maude Bardet – Kaleidoscopy
- Honorable Mention Mike Perry – Ikigai